Tips for creating an inviting hummingbird habitat:
- Maintain clean, consistent food and water sources.
- Water in bird baths must be shallow; average bird baths are too deep for hummingbirds, and moving water is much more attractive to them.
- Stagger bloom times to supply a constant nectar source.
- Plant a variety of nectar plants at different heights
- Plant in blocks of color. Red is known to be particularly attractive to hummingbirds, but they love any tubular shaped flower.
- Mature trees provide shelter and perching areas, and shrubs give cover and secluded nesting sites
- Hummingbirds eat insects as well as drinking nectar so providing habitat with a diversity of insects will give them more food